June 28, 2011

Rob Ford....Show me some Pride

File:Rob Ford Mayor.jpg

I wouldn't call myself a man that stands up for gay rights or take a stand on the legalization of gay marriage- I just do not care enough.  However, I also feel that if something doesn't affect me in anyway, I don't believe I have a right criticize.  Who am I to judge if two guys or two gals want to express their feelings for each other in such an intimate way? I like to take a libertarian view with this issue - as long as you do not bother anyone, enjoy yourself.

What does bother me is when people go and ruin a perfectly good career on stupid decisions such as the recent one by Toronto mayor Rob Ford.  For the last four-to-five years, I have been following Mr. Ford and have had supported him throughout his rise in Toronto politics.  For the most part I have always agreed with his views and his opinions, but his refusal to attend the Pride parade is not one of them.

I am going to give Mr. Ford the benefit of the doubt and believe that he has an annual tradition with his family that he feels that he must attend, and I also know that he is a very busy man that must cancel numerous events that occur throughout the city.  However, by refusing to attend this parade he has created a lightening rod for his opponents to pounce on and label him as a bigot and homophobe.

Ford promised to be a mayor for all of Toronto and this parade gives him an opportunity to prove it!  By not attending the parade, he will further alienate homosexuals and prove what his naysayers have been preaching - it's not like the liberal and gay community have accepted him since he announced his nomination against Smitherman.  For this week, let's just hope that he makes the right decision and stands beside the LGBT community during Pride.  Finally, Should Mr. Ford attend the event, let us also hope that the gay community makes the right move and accept their mayor and applaud his decision to attend.

Flush out

No comments:

Post a Comment